A potent truth

A potent truth

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmas Magic

I have spent the past few days baking and making candy in preparation for next week's festivities. I love baking and making sweets, but this is the only time of year I truly allow myself to indulge in doing so. I am joined in the kitchen sporadically by my eldest son, who seems to believe that every step of making these things is endlessly fascinating.
This awe and curiosity reminds me of being a child and watching my mother bake cookies and getting in her way in an attempt to understand how she was doing it. I was convinced my mother worked magic at one point. She was a sorceress of the kitchen, magically taking things like flour and butter and sugar and making beautiful, scrumptious things! It was amazing!
Of course, now I know what is going on in the theater of my childhood magic show. I am the sorceress, transforming and entrancing. I had forgotten how fantastic it all is until I watched Caleb learn to mix dough, decorate a cookie, melt butterscotch, and sample the product of his work and diligence. This is my Christmas magic moment.
So, here is a brief poem that I composed to attempt to convey that feeling, the warmth and affection, involved in cooking in the kitchen in preparation for Christmas fun.


Magic

Sugar and vanilla.
Peppermint and chocolate.
Flour and butter.
Childhood memories,
Kitchen magic.
Warmth and laughter.

Messy hands.
Ruffled aprons.
Christmas carols.
Baking smells.
Smiling eyes.
Laughing smiles.
Kitchen magic.
Christmas magic.
Love's magic.
-Constance

No comments: