A potent truth

A potent truth

Friday, June 26, 2009

Soldier's things.

So most of you know that music is a huge thing for me. It is practically and extension of my soul. Last night while sitting here I had my itunes set on random so that I was getting a wildly varied selection of music while I did my thing and talked to Jacob for a little while. Now, it is inevitable that if I sit and actually listen to the music I will be inspired to write something myself. It just so happens that Tom Waits was my muse last night. lol! There's an image for you. He has a song called "Soldier's Things" that I love. I started looking around at my soldier's things and decided to write.
My poem doesn't really flow in the same vein as Tom Wait's song, but the general idea came from him and I got to thinking about how these things are a small outward projection of the man within. The things that make him who he is. The framed pictures, certificates, and awards hanging on the wall that he is so proud of. The dress uniform hanging on the closet door with all of the ribbons and the medals and stripes, all of this reflects a part of the whole that is Jacob. So here it is. Let me know what you think!
This is a video somebody made to go with the song that is actually pretty good if you want to hear the song.


Matter of the Man

Certificates and awards
Hanging on his walls.
Medals and ribbons
Pinned on his chest.
Rifles and ammo
In his safe.
Photos of men
His men; a brotherhood.
Honor and courage
In his soul.
Duty and responsibility
Dwellers of his heart.
A paragon and a citadel
This is who he is.
A man and a soldier
That is what he is.
These are his
A soldier's things.
-Constance

2 comments:

April said...

great post constance!

Constance said...

Thanks! I guess you noticed I finally figured out the video posting on here? lol!