A potent truth

A potent truth

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

little boys and their joys.

I am the blessed mother of two fantastic (in my humble opinion) little boys, of 7 and 2. This comes, like most things  in life, with rewards and drawbacks. There are many days that the drawbacks seem to far outweigh the rewards, but as the majority of mothers out there will tell you, it's worth it. A toddler especially likes to test the limits of one's sanity, on an hourly basis usually.
I am reminded of these joyous rewards when I hold one of my precious boys and they smile back at me without hesitation. Pure happiness in a single facial expression and I am reassured of my place in the world. Those gorgeous blue eyes and bright little smiles make my heart swell with pure, unadulterated love.
So, I true to wrote a poem to embody this phenomenal depth of emotion. It fails, of course, to capture the depth of feeling I want to convey, but I simply couldn't ignore the urge to attempt it. I hope despite its shortcomings, you enjoy the sentiment behind the piece.

Ode to My Boys

This is my love,
Tangled up in your eyes.
Childish joy I see
Is your toothy smile.
Magnificent blue
Reflecting my joy.
Precocious little boy.

You drive me mad,
Straight up the wall.
No matter the crazy
Still, I love it all.
The tears and pain,
They make the joy sharp.
Laughter sounding like a harp.
-Constance

2 comments:

Mandi said...

Love it! There is no greater joy than having your child smile at you. It melts your heart.

Constance said...

It does melt my heart! I swear there is some sort of superpower in a kid's smile. Double so if they are your own kids.