A potent truth

A potent truth

Monday, March 23, 2009

A lament.

Right here at the beginning I want to say that none of you, my readers, should go feeling sorry for me. I wrote this late last night or early this morning, depends on how you look at it, and I was just having a "poor me" pity party and I all better now. I have those from time to time and then I am good for a while. It is just how I cope with all of this. I have found that these maudlin moods of mine do result in some artistic inspiration if I am at a place where I can indulge in it. Using these moods to do something productive, I find, is also rather cathartic and I feel much better. So, I am feeling much better today and I got a decent poem out of my moodiness. I even have a title! Now you all must be really proud of me! Anyway, just enjoy my latest poem and forgive me for going so long without posting. Up until recently I have been desperately lacking in inspiration and I couldn't even bring myself to post my older poetry.

Lament of the Lonely

I look out through the forrest.
I imagine running to the sea.
Seemingly endless expanses
of the world before me.
I am so small here.

How am I meant to stand
To face things alone,
To survive with you gone,
So far from home?
I feel so alone here.

Despite the support, the love,
The family, the friends,
Cold creeps deeply into my soul.
I pray for relief, for warmth.
I grow cold here.

Tears hide reserved, deeply they hide.
I have a well within myself
Sealed so tightly, none shall see,
The deep yawning chasm in me.
I am so empty here.

My love screams for you.
My skin feels dry and brittle.
My sorrow will pass from me.
To visit another day.
I am not trapped here.
-Constance

4 comments:

Mandi said...

I think one of the best things about art in any form is that the expression of feelings helps to heal the artist. I am glad that you are feeling better and don't feel so lonely and empty all the time. You should come over one weekday afternoon and wine & whine with April and me. :-)

Constance said...

I might just do that! I can always enjoy wine even if I have nothing to whine about at the time! lol!

Anonymous said...

I hope you do feel better. That was completely depressing. Then again I should know better than to read your poetry when I need a pleasant brain break. I should just stick to reading the running commentaries between you and April. It was torturingly beautiful, and I did like it.

Constance said...

Thanks Colie! I do have happy poetry though. It's just harder to write happy without sounding corny or cliche. If you think our online running commentaries are funny you should here an actual conversation between us!