A potent truth

A potent truth

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

One word. That's all it took.

I wrote this today. I am ever so proud of myself. The inspiration for this is kind of odd for me. One word spawned and entire poem. I was listening to music, as per usual, and I heard one word, "fire," and that was it. The word fire brought to mind dragons and from there the ball just rolled along. Dragons destroy and consume, so it seemed logical to use one as a metaphore for life. We fight everyday, whether we realize it or not, to stay afloat and every second of happiness. Maybe we don't always feel the strain of it, but even a smile or laugh is a choice. You choose to enjoy life. If you didn't you would be content to let life consume you and eat up your soul. There would be no happiness, no smiles, no joy, nothing. Misery would be all that you had to hold close to your heart. So, yeah, I think it is an ongoing battle to be happy in this world. Every choice is a strategic move, even the simple ones, because they affect you in some way and every way you are affected has an impact. We slay dragons every day, only to turn around and do it again and again. Some day we won't have to, but until we leave this world we do. I think I expressed a lot in this particular poem. I hope you all enjoy it.

Dragons

Life consumes us.
Its fires they rage.
A dragon always there,
Night and day.

Rigid control
Keeps us going on.
Waiting for an opening
A chink in the armor.

Waiting for the dragon
Its weakness to show.
To pierce its belly

To obliterate the threat.

We wait for peace.
The peace of mind.
To rest a while.
It never really comes.

-Constance

2 comments:

Mandi said...

That describes exactly the way I felt yesterday. Sometimes I step back and see life as a series of losses and hurts, and I had so much anxiety anticipating the next one.

Constance said...

Yeah that is how it feels sometimes. Sometimes we win though and slay those proverbial dragons. That always feels great! I was having a hard time thinking about that though when I wrote and posted this so it comes off a little dark and depressing.