A potent truth

A potent truth

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Jacob is home so read a Scottish poem!

I don't have a poem that is appropriate for the occasion. I have looked and come up empty handed. Nothing I have written speaks to me in the appropriate way. Maybe I will write something later and post it. I am feeling rather inspired today, probably due to having my sweetheart back, even if for just a short while. So since I couldn't find anything of my own to share I went in search of something relatively appropriate to share that some one else had written. After searching I came up with a poem by the Scottish poet Robert Burns. It's always fun to read his work because you have to get through all of the oddly spelled words. Being Scottish he spells some of his words differently than we as Americans would. If you ever get the chance you should read more of his works. He wrote some remarkable poems. I love to read his work! While this isn't really the perfect poem and maybe I should have stuck with one about love returning I just really felt like this is the one for today.

O, My Luve is Like a Red Red Rose

O, my luve is like a red, red rose,
That's newly sprung in June.
O, my luve is like a melodie,
That's sweetly play'd in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonie lass,
So deep in luve am I,
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi the sun!
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o life shall run.

And fare thee weel, my only luve!
And fare thee weel, a while!
And I will come again, my luve,
Tho it were ten thousand mile!
-Robert Burns

5 comments:

Mandi said...

I love it, and I can see why it is appropriate to the situation at hand.
I hope these last days with Jacob home before his long departure go by slowly!

April said...

i love Robert Burns! Beautiful!

Constance said...

I hope they go by slowly too Mandi. It is nice to have him home!

Vickie said...

This is probably my favorite poem....especially when it is being sung as a love song! I love it!

Constance said...

I know. It is very romantic!