A potent truth

A potent truth

Saturday, February 28, 2009

To April!

After reading April's blog I went on a Bowie kick starting with "The Man Who Sold the World" and from the I went all over the place with my Bowie and people covering Bowie. While some of it made my ears bleed and offended my musician's heart others were fabulous. I know April was sure I would flame her for posting Nirvana's cover of Bowie's "The Man Who Sold the World" but like I told her I actually like it! As a matter of fact I have been known to listen to Nirvana's version just as often as Bowie's. That is not to say I like their version better because I am a die hard Bowie fan and that would be an impossiblity for me. So since I have no idea what poem to post I am posting the lyrics to go with April's video. Song lyrics are after all poetry sent into motion by music. Well, some of it is anyway. Some lyrics are just crap. Case in point... Brittany Spears songs. Okay off of that subject before I go all soap boxy on you. Here are the lyrics which I love. It's a brilliant song from a brilliant, if not extremely strange man.

The Man Who Sold the World

We passed upon the stair, we spoke of was and when
Although I wasn't there, he said I was his friend
Which came as some surprise I spoke into his eyes
I thought you died alone, a long long time ago

Oh no, not me
I never lost control
You're face to face
With The Man Who Sold The World

I laughed and shook his hand, and made my way back home
I searched for form and land, for years and years I roamed
I gazed a gazely stare at all the millions here
We must have died along, a long long time ago

Who knows? not me
We never lost control
You're face to face
With the Man who Sold the World

See isn't that great! I know a lot of people who've never actually heard Bowie do this. If you haven't go on youtube and check it out!

2 comments:

April said...

Love that damn song!

Constance said...

I know! Bowie brilliance! You just can't resist.