A potent truth

A potent truth

Friday, February 27, 2009

Sacrifice

I often find myself wondering how Jesus could sacrifice himself for us. I know He loves us and all of that, but can you imagine? Imagine leaving behind a divine home to come to earth as a human baby! I once heard some one say that it would be something like us becoming a slug so that we could save them. Not that we are slugs exactly, but we are just that far away from Christ's divinity and all that He had. Still He did it and isn't that amazing? I hope that I never cease to be amazed at that sacrifice. His resurrection too is quite an awe inspiring thing as well, but the initial sacrifice is what leaves me feeling so humbled. What must it have been like to know you were going to die and why and be willing to do it just because you loved that much? Still, He loves us and how much more humbling is that?
Since I have been in this frame of mind this morning I though I should give you a poem I wrote several years ago that is actually extremely appropriate. I remember writing this very clearly. My dad was actually preaching and this came to me. Most of my good stuff comes to me in church. (I know you are probably thinking I shouldn't be writing in church!) It usually starts with something the preacher says and then wham! I have a line in my head. Of course, I have to write it down and it just kind of goes from there. It only takes a few minutes usually and I can get right back to the sermon. So here is what I wrote a whole 4 years ago.

His Grace

Rain sounds in His place
And I wonder on His face.
What a mighty God is He
That commands the sky and sea.

His hands can calm
Or raise a storm
And yet the cross
He has worn.

And as the torrent comes down
I think of His thorny crown.
How a saviour with such grace
Can bear to look upon my face?
-Constance

2 comments:

Mandi said...

That is lovely Constance. I have had such a crappy day, and hopefully this will turn my thoughts from my own selfishness to more meaningful things.... and it fits nicely with the weather, too!

Constance said...

Thank you! I have had pretty crappy parts of my day so far too so I needed it myself. That's why I picked it. It practically jumped off of the page at me. That plus the whole weather thing too! It was actually the PERFECT poem for today.